Here are 55 things every fashionable mom or woman in general should know!!
1. Make sure your clothes always show your identity. Don’t be a slave to fashion. Find something that works for you and stick with it!
2. To coax a loose thread back into place, gently tug at the stitches to the sides as well as above and below.
3. A good shoemaker can fully rebuild your favorite pair. Even if they have seen their last days!
4. If you are unsure about an impulse sale or purchase, leave it at the store. If you are still thinking about it the next day, buy it!
5. V-Neck Sweaters and tees give the illusion of a longer torso.
6. Use a lemon wedge to remove excess or streaky self-tanner.
7. Who has time to hand wash bras? Machine wash them in cold water in a mesh lingerie bag and drape them over a hanger to dry.
8. Wear your new real leather jacket in the rain to break it in. Water will soften it up and allow it to stretch and crease at specific points on your body.
9. A good tip when cleaning out your closet: Ask a friend whose style you like to come help. She/he might offer new insight on how to wear certain items before you toss them.
10. A structured hat should rest about 1/8 to 1/2 inch above the ears.
11. Use cold water for delicates. Always wash linens and dirty white clothing in hot to warm water.
12. Pile on flashy accessories to instantly transform even the most basic outfit.
13. If you can;t fit two fingers underneath your bra band comfortably, it’s too tight. I suggest going to get professionally fitted for a bra. It will change your life.
14. To prevent clothing from wrinkling in a suitcase, roll it instead of folding it.
15. Before bed, pour two or three tablespoons of baking soda into stinky shoes and tilt the shoe to distribute the soda evenly. This will eat any odor and absorb perspiration.
16. The easiest way to make your closet look more organized is to buy the same color of hangers. I really like the skinny velvet hangers. Nothing slips off them and they don’t stretch your clothes.
17. When in doubt, always choose the smaller denim size. Jeans stretch with wear.
18. Use shaving cream and a washcloth to remove liquid makeup from shirt collars.
19. Spray shirts prone to sweat stains with lemon juice before washing. The natural acid dissolves alkaline sweat residue that could cause yellow discoloration.
20. Nude colored pumps can make your bare legs appear longer.
21. Put your dry jeans inside a plastic bag in your freezer for two days to zap odors and kill bacteria without washing them.
22. Hoop earrings are a classic style for every woman!
23. If you wear leather shoes without socks, always stuff them with a soft cloth when your done wearing them. This absorbs moisture and helps them keep their shape.
24. Sprayed too much perfume?? Use unscented, oil-based make up remover to remove the excess perfume without having to take a shower.
25. To achieve the perfectly effortless cuffed sleeve, keep the top button buttoned while you roll.
26. Don’t buy items you know you will not care for properly. If you know your not going to hand wash that delicate cami or beaded sweater, don’t buy it.
27. “The best way to store fashion jewelry is in ziploc bags. The helps the pieces retain luster and reduces tarnishing and scratches.” -Jordan Weingartner, Founder of I Love Jewelry Auctions.
28. Silk pillocases prevent sleep creases and are also much gentler on your hair and skin.
29. Windex restores the glossy sheen on patent leather without doing any damage.
30. Don’t underestimate the power of a well-fitting, stylish winter coat. It can make the whole outfit look put together.
31. You can still look chic while showing some skin. If you are wearing a mini skirt or shorts, keep more covered up on top. If your top is a bit skimpy, go for full coverage bottoms!
32. The perfect length for a pencil skirt should hit right above your knee. Any longer and it will start to shorten your leg.
33. Bras you wear everyday should be replaced every 3-6 months. That is when they start to lose their elasticity and support. Higher end bras can be replaced every 6-9 months. That is including Victoria’s Secret brand!
34. When you are shopping for a jacket, coat, or blazer, pay attention to the fit around the shoulders. A tailor can tweak pretty much anything about the fit of a jacket except the shoulders. The seam should sit perfectly at the bony tops of your shoulders.
35. To determine if pearls are real, lightly rub them over your teeth. Fake pearls will be perfectly smooth while real ones have a slightly gritty or textured feel.
36. Break in stiff or too snug shoes by slipping on thick socks and blasting your feet with a hot air dryer.
37. When getting jeans shortened, always ask your tailor to reattach the original hem. It may cost extra, but it’s worth it.
38. Use Dawn dish soap to remove grease stains from clothing!
39. To stretch shoes that are too tight, fill to ziploc bags with water and place in each shoe. Put them in the freezer overnight and it will gently expand your shoes.
40. Add 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar to the final rinse cycle while doing laundry to maintain the wash of your favorite pair of dark jeans.
41. Use hairspray to remove lipstick stains.
42. Panty lines are not okay! Invest in a nude thong or seamless underwear!
43. Blot, don’t rub, when you spill something on your clothes. Wiping or rubbing will actually further ingrain the stain into your clothes.
44. Double stick tape works to shorten a hem in a pinch if you can’t get to the tailor before an event.
45. Shopping for a wedding dress or another big event outfit? Go to the store with make up on, proper undergarments, and your hair fixed to get a better sense of how it’ll look!
46. Spray tights with sticky hairspray to prevent holes and runs.
47. If you get wax on a piece of clothing, layer wax paper over the hardened wax and then run an iron over it to loosen it up. Once you pull off the paper, the wax should come right off with it.
48. Never put your swimwear in a washing machine and always hang it to dry. The machine will damage the suit and cause it to lose its elasticity. The only exception is at the end of summer or vacation, wash your swimwear in a mesh lingerie bag on the gentle cycle. Do this only after many wears.
49. Wondering about the quality of your cashmere? Gently stretch the body of the garment to see if it snaps back. A lower quality cashmere won’t.
50. Always organize your clothes going light to dark from left to right in your closet. Your eye will follow the color and thus help you stay more organized.
51. If you get an oil stain on your favorite handbag, coat the mark with baby powder and let it stand overnight. By morning, the stain should be gone.
52. Remove white deodorant marks from a garment by gently rubbing the protective foam used on store hangers against the fabric.
53. Wash new jeans twice before taking them to the tailor to be shortened. Jeans will always shrink in length when washed.
54. Use white wine to remove a red wine stain.
55. Always wash cashmere by hand. To dry it, use a salad spinner, which releases excess water in seconds.